Songs about Freedom and Dreams

I remember playing soccer on a grass field scarred by big dirt potholes at Knowlton Elementary School one day during recess, when suddenly the game was interrupted by a bunch of classmates running onto the field and being surrounded by the rest of the players. These kids had been absent most the day and had just been dropped off at school. There was a big commotion as many of my fellow soccer players circled the newcomers to hear about the event that had taken them away from school on this warm day. I was annoyed; partly at the game being stopped, and partly at having yet another reminder thrust in front of me that I wasn’t a member of this exclusive group. It was a group that I didn’t even understand. I wasn’t sure what they did. I just knew that there was a segment of my classmates, mostly hailing from Fruit Heights, who belonged to some club that won them time out of school and the adulation of their peers. These kids weren’t regular kids, the kids were the Sunshine Generation.

I didn’t know what that meant. I just knew it got them out of school and they all talked excitedly to each other about whatever it was Sunshine Generation did. Well I later discovered what they did and my jealousy evaporated.

Sunshine Generation is a performance troupe for young children. How did it come to be? The story goes that 30 years ago Liberace had a pallet of small glittery red bow ties and yellow and orange frilly dresses mistakenly delivered to his house. Not one to waste such treasures he figured he might as well put them to use by creating a performance troupe for young children in Fruit Heights, Utah.

I do my best to forget about Sunshine Generation, but one can never escape it completely. Last July at Kaysville’s Independence Day Parade I endured 20 floats with their own little performance troupes.

Then I forgot about it again and life returned to normal. Then I saw the Double Dream Hands video recently, which most of you have doubtless seen by now as well.

Why do parents do that to their children?

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print this article!
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • del.icio.us
  • Google Bookmarks
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit

11 Responses to “Songs about Freedom and Dreams”

1. Rebecca Bell says:

i’m disappointed that you didn’t put up your own double dream hands dance rendition.

2. Andrea W. says:

I’m with Rebecca. Bad form. We want your version!!!!

3. Troy says:

As you know I’m a Fruit Heightian, so the Sunshine Generation was born just a mere 3 blocks from where I grew up. It was the fallback extra-curricular for the Billy Elliots that didn’t want to play sports. There were an unfortunate few, however, that were good athletes that had moms who insisted on trying to round them out by exposing them to group performance. I’m 33 years old and I still make fun of these guys whenever I see them. I remember during Primary Programs at church, I kept it toned down because Sister Nalder (the Sunshine Generation owner/operator) was in the congregation scanning for recruits. At least that’s what I was afraid of.

I noticed the same thing at the Kaysville Parade about how many performance troupes exist in Davis County alone. But what struck me more was the sheer number of cheerleading/tumbling squads. For whom or for what exactly are girls that are members of “Cheerzz!” cheering for?

Think of the evolution of Cheerleading. One day a long time ago, a student club was formed with the purpose of organizing different shouts and cheers to keep their student peers lively and excited during school sporting events. Fast forward to today, and now we have studios producing “cheer-leaders” that have no team or event to lead any cheers for. They just cheer. At the parade, a tween did a back flip in front of us and put her hands in the air and said “Go TEAM!”. What team? I’ve never heard of any team named “Clay’s Tumbling”. It’s all so bizarre.

4. Oh my freaking heck…thank you, sir, thank you.

5. Braden says:

I understand that SG made quite a bit of money for the owners, though.

6. Brynn says:

Great Neve just say me watching dream hands and is now doing her version around her house. No wonder Disney has set up shop in Utah, or that there is always a Mormon in the top 20 of American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance. Can you tell my Mom put me in one of these groups. I shined I tell you I shined…. that is when I wasn’t trying to ditch my carpool ride to the “Backyard Gang” on Monday afternoons by sneaking on the bus.

7. Rachel says:

I think that dance would go over really well at the club. I’ll let you know…

8. I once wrote a bit of parenting advice which included, “Don’t sign your kid up for clogging lessons.” Impassioned cloggers responded extolling the many social and physical benefits of clogging. I’m sure the Sunshine Generation delivers some of the same social and physical benefits as clogging. I hope that answers your question about why parents do this to their children and also people are just super lame.

9. Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your blog. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an e-mail if interested. Thank you!
    Cheap North Face Jackets http://fleecejackedsfs.edublogs.org/2012/11/18/north-face-pink-ribbon-jacket-nc/

10. DJ says:

I’m glad to be a visitor of this arrant site, appreciate it for this rare information!

11. Я конечно, прошу прощения, но это всё не подходит. Есть другие варианты?